First Place Winner! Jasmine Curry Rice with Cranberries, my signature dish. With mangos added, it was a first place winner at the 2014 Mango Festival, Moana Surfrider Resort, Hawai‘i.
Exotic Curry Fried Rice with Mangos and Cranberries
- YieldServes 4 - 6.
- 4 cups pre-cooked long - grain rice, preferably jasmine rice (start with 2 cups raw, steam according to preferred method)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 1/2 Tbsp Ka’iulani Exotic Curry
- 1/4 cup dried, sweetened cranberries or raisins
- 2 mangos, diced small
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro (stems finely, leaves roughly, keep separate
- 3 to 4 stalks green onion, sliced fine
- 2 to 3 Tbsp toasted, slivered almonds or chopped macadamia nuts
- The night before serving, steam rice and refrigerate.
On serving day, in a spacious frying pan or sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. When oil is heated, add garlic, Ka’iulani Curry, cilantro stems and cranberries.
When garlic is cooked, golden and softened, add the cooked rice. Mix well, adding curry until the rice is a beautiful golden-yellow color. That color is the key to this dish, whenever you double or half the recipe, it will always turn out.
Fold the mangos into the rice, saving some to put on top. Add most of the green onions and cilantro leaves and mix again. Then sprinkle remaining green onions and toasted nuts on top.